Tuesday, June 12, 2012

[Room]- Leprechaun House

DSC_0024.JPG_DSC0019.JPG
_DSC0022.JPG
_DSC0029.JPG


My second project in my first semester in architecture was an exploration of what makes a room.  My professor assigned us each a mythical creature as our 'client,' for whom we designed and modeled a scale model of a dream room.  My assignment was a leprechaun, and I built him an underground all-purpose room.  The room has a bed, a kitchen area, a reading area, and is centered around his workbench, where the leprechaun spends most of his day building shoes for his forest friends.  Some requirements for the room included 2 ways to enter/ exit and at least two places to look outside.  Additionally, I modeled the surrounding area, which is a wooded forest.  The room itself is designed to be beneath a large tree.


The most interesting part of this project was my experimentation with materials.  I ended up making the room out of mud brick, which I made out of mud, leaves, and dry grass.  It was applied to a cardboard bottom and a shaped chicken wire wall and allowed to harden for days.  Many of the pieces of furniture were molded out of foam.

No comments:

Post a Comment